Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Creepy Happy 70s - Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep

I've come to the conclusion that "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep" is the
most fun song about child abandonment ever written.

Must find a link to this catchy, twee, ominous marvel as soon as I get
back.

Oh, here it is... Middle Of The Road - Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep (1971)



Of course, it's not the original version. There's a slightly more maudlin, yet still upbeat and strident version from 1970, by the song's writer, Lally Stott, here:



This is actually the version I heard yesterday which made me think of the old childish, stomping crowd pleaser that I grew up on dancing to at weddings and jubilees and such. This would inevitably be followed by Slade's Mama Weer All Crazee Now (1972). Not as scary, but just as damn catchy.


Now, where's that one? Oh, here! Even better, a non-lip-synched performance! Groovy!



No comments: