Sunday, March 16, 2008

















Saw this on a blog post for 1970's New York pictures which is fascinating stuff, and I'll link it up on the right soon. This is a NYC subway train circa 1971, which really goes to show that, even though we now may think they're dirty and hard to sit in comfortably, we forget (or in my case never saw except in movies) just how bad they were. The posters on the end of the car are fairly new, you may notice, and have been plastered up there over the graffiti overlapping itself on the wall. Everything else kinda looks like the monkey cage in a zoo. I think you can still buy those metal straps above the seats from the NYC Transit Museum, though I'd have to soak them in bleach for about a year before I'd want to touch one.

As for the blog this came from (1970's New York), be advised that for those of a more sensitive nature, it contains many pictures of the World Trade Center during and after construction. There's also a photo of Jersey City from the Manhattan side which, as anyone who's lived here longer than I have will remember, contains no skyline.

No comments: