Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ray Winstone in new HBO Cop Drama set in 1972



Some people may have noticed my newly-founded obsession with the 70's began roughly a day after I watched the first season of Life On Mars about a year and a half ago. It's a weird feeling that's been growing on me ever since, that nostalgic longing for simpler times that I know people in their 30's in 1978 had for the late 50's. But I do now unabashedly enjoy traveling down Memory Lane when I chance, and hope you readers are happily following along.

So, it brings me a mixture of happiness and trepidation that the US version of Life On Mars wasn't canceled after very poor reviews of the pilot episode, but has been completely re-tooled, re-scripted, and moved from 1972 L.A. to 1972 New York, with Harvey Keitel now as Gene Hunt, and Gretchen Mol as Annie. It could be great, it could be okay, it could bomb completely. Either way, the original UK show cannot suffer, and as long I've still got those discs, I'm happy.

Whatever the outcome of October 9th's season premiere of Life On Mars, there's something currently filming in Brooklyn that has also peaked my interest: "Last Of The Ninth" is a new HBO series starring Ray Winstone as a cop in the same corrupt 1972 NYPD that Serpico tried to fight. I can completely imagine ABC screwing up a perfect show by watering it down, changing the reality of the characters, etc., but HBO, who probably should have made Life On Mars in the first place, I fully trust to get it right. Who knows, maybe I'll be proved wrong, and if I am, then I'll be a happy man.

No comments: